Monday, May 22

I'm going to get myself in soooo much trouble!



Just another Cornish road...

Originally uploaded by T Hancock.
Okay... right... Struggling to find a place to start again. So much to tell! Perhaps my morning in Japan? I jumped up about 7:30 to race downstairs and have brekky so I could be ready early to look around. My attempts were completly futile though, one is rather stuck on Kansai airport unfortunatly. The airport was quite a spectical itself fortunatly.
So I've finally got my feet on the ground in the UK and getting back into some routine. Thankfully I've had Sami by my side teaching me everything that's different. Most of it has been sinking in despite jetlag.
This is the part where I'm getting in trouble... I've already had several lectures from Sami regarding the English sensibility and how best to avoid offending it. For example the use of the word "bugger" around grandparents is not appropriate and don't call "bullshit" at the dinner table.
Sami's Cafe is coming along very well. It's only quite small with seating for 25 inside and around 15 outside (not that you would). She got the first delivery of food and should be ready for the Thursday opening! I've finally gotten my mobile back up and going with a new number so e-mail me if you'd like the number.

Notable changes:


  • The radio stations and music here are awesome! For example on Radio 1 I've already heard Mylo, Goldfrapp and Primal Scream! In my opinion the UK has always been the home of the best music in the world and I wasn't wrong!
  • Everything is sooo green! The Cornish country side is so pretty.
  • The weather really is as bad a what everyone complains. They keep telling me it was great a few days ago... I happen to think it's a big conspiracy to tick the dopey convict from Australia!
  • Telephone companies are insanely complex in their pricing structure (or tariffs as it's called here) and unbelievably slow to deal with.
  • It's amazing how the whole country is geared to the cold weather. Everywhere is centrally heated and quite cosy despite the freezing cold outside. Also Cornwall is so geared towards the summer season and the tourists. It's amazing the whole culture is set up to deal with tourists over the summer season and the whole of Cornwall shuts down for the winter. The implications this are really amazing as effect so many aspects of daily life.
  • The summer solstice is really weird. I look outside and it's about 2:30 hours later then what I'm used to. So I'll think it's around 5pm at night and it's really closer to 8pm at night.
  • Apparently 1 in 3 people have hayfever in the UK which is really great news for me as it makes the hayfever drugs really cheap. I was paying around $15 AU for weekly tablets and here it osts as little as £1.00 ($2.45 AU). But better then that is the fact that my hayfever is actually clearing up a little and *fingers crossed* might actually go away!!
  • The @ and the " on the UK keyboard are swapped over... majorly annoying! LOL

Okay enough for now... 12am and not doing my jetlag any favours!

No comments: